Ángel Adames, JISAO’s First Summer Intern, Receives 2018 James R. Holton Award

Ángel F. Adames-Corraliza, JISAO’s first intern in 2009, will receive the 2018 James R. Holton Award at AGU’s Fall Meeting 2018, to be held 10–14 December in Washington, D. C. The award recognizes “outstanding scientific research and accomplishments of early-career scientists” who are no more than 3 years past receiving the Ph.D. degree. He will be receiving the award for his groundbreaking contributions to atmospheric sciences, in particular, to the theory of the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO).

Response from Angel:

I want to begin by expressing my gratitude to the Atmospheric Sciences section of AGU and the members of the award committee. It is simply humbling to receive an award named after James R. Holton. I remember using his book for my first class in dynamic meteorology, which not only became my favorite topic in atmospheric sciences but also defined the course of my scientific career. I hope to transfer this excitement toward atmospheric dynamics to the students I will teach at the University of Michigan.

I am lucky to have met numerous outstanding people who have played a pivotal role in my development. Tom Ackerman and the people at the Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean (JISAO) were the first who provided me an opportunity to perform research and paved the way for my career. Jerôme Patoux, Mike Wallace, and Daehyun Kim supported me throughout grad school and taught me to do research with care, rigor, and enthusiasm. My postdoctoral supervisor, Yi Ming, with whom I had many fruitful science conversations, and I shared the joy of being the loudest people at the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL). I would also like to thank my collaborators and reviewers, whose support and feedback have been crucial for my work.

Continue reading at EOS