Through JISAO’s Cooperative Agreement, research is funded through three tasks.
JISAO supports core programs by providing space, computer access, administrative support, and other services for postdocs and visitors. Core programs include:
- Three to four postdoctoral fellows on annual appointments, renewable for a second year.
- Honoraria and travel expenses for short-term visitors
- Education and outreach activities
- A portion of JISAO administration
The Task II budgets serve as a vehicle for funding research scientists (UW professional staff), other postdoctoral research associates, and graduate students. The Task II program supports directed, collaborative research efforts between NOAA and university scientists.
Task II funding currently supports:
- Approximately 90 professional staff, postdoctoral research associates, and UW graduate students are housed at NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL) and Alaska Fisheries Science Center (AFSC)
Task III funds supports University of Washington research in areas compatible with the JISAO’s major research themes. Task III programs serve as vehicles for funding research scientists (UW faculty and professional staff), postdoctoral research associates, and graduate students.
Task III funding typically supports an average of six postdoctoral research associates housed at PMEL and AFSC.