The primary purpose of PI status is to enable submission of proposals through the University of Washington as the lead investigator. A PI is an individual responsible for the conduct and reporting of research described in a proposal for an award.
I. Qualifications for Principal Investigator Status
- Any individual desiring PI status must have demonstrated research productivity, the ability to design and work independently on research projects, have managed projects, and contributed to the broader scientific community.
- The individual must be a Research Engineer/Scientist 4 Grade 9 or higher (See job description)
- The individual must have at least 3 years of professional research experience at JISAO or an equivalent institution.
II. PI Application Procedure
- An individual meeting the above qualifications shall apply in writing to the JISAO Council. This application shall include:
- A statement from the applicant describing how he or she meets PI qualification, why PI status is desired, and how it will benefit JISAO and the University of Washington.
- A current Curriculum Vitae.
- A letter from a JISAO fellow supporting the application for PI status. The letter should comment on the professional standing of the applicant and the desirability of awarding PI status to the applicant.
- The Council will discuss and vote on the application. Approval will be by a minimum 60% majority.
- Upon Council approval, the application will be forwarded to the CoENV Dean or designate for approval.
III. Appointment Period and Renewal
- PI status will be granted for 5 years. At the end of the 5-year period, every PI will submit a renewal package that will be considered by the Council.
- Renewal of PI status is based on continued research productivity, evidenced by proposal activity, publication record, scientific and outreach presentations, administrative duties, mentorship, and professional awards. If a PI has obtained a funded proposal whose lifetime extends past the 5 year limit, then PI status will be extended to the lifetime of the proposal.
- Renewal recommendations by the Council (minimum 60% majority) will be forwarded to the CoENV Dean or designate for approval.
IV. Renewal Application Procedure
The JISAO Council and Director will review application materials. The renewal application package shall include:
- Letter from the candidate describing how professional activities contribute to JISAO research themes.
- One letter of recommendation from a JISAO fellow supporting the renewal that describes how the PI has contributed to the JISAO mission.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Completed Activity Summary.