Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean
Back to Top
I. Qualifications for Principal Investigator Status
- The individual desiring PI status must have demonstrated research productivity, the ability to design and work independently on research projects, management of technical projects, and contributions to the broader scientific community.
- The individual must be a Research Engineer/Scientist 4 Grade 9 or higher (See job description)
- The individual must have at least 3 years of professional research experience at JISAO or an equivalent institution.
- An individual meeting the qualifications defined in this document shall make application in writing to the JISAO Council of Fellows. This application shall include
- A statement from the applicant describing how he or she meets PI qualification, indicating why PI status is desired and discussing how it will benefit JISAO and the University of Washington
- A current and complete resume
- A letter from a JISAO fellow supporting the application for PI. This letter should comment on the professional standing of the applicant and the desirability of awarding PI status to the applicant.
- The Council of Fellows will discuss and vote on the application. Approval will be by a 60% majority.
- Upon approval, the application will be forwarded to the Dean of the College of the Environment for approval.
III. Period of PI status
- PI status will be granted for a period of 5 years. At the end of each 5 year period, the Council of Fellows will consider whether PI status shall be renewed.
- Continuation of PI status will be based on continued research productivity, number of proposals submitted, and number of proposals funded. If the PI has obtained a funded proposal whose lifetime extends past the 5 year limit, then PI status will automatically be extended to at least the lifetime of the proposal.
- The recommendation of the Council will be forwarded to the Dean of the College of the Environment for approval.