Steps for Hiring a New Employee
1. Write a job description. Most JISAO positions are within the UW Professional Staff Research Scientist titles; you can view the entire job list and some generic descriptions on the UW HR website. Consult with the JISAO Assistant Director if you are unsure of the job title.
3. Complete the UW job questionnaire if the position is a Research Scientist/Engineer.
4. Send all of the above documents to the JISAO Assistant Director who will initiate the process in Workday.
5. Consider various recruitment methods that might bring you the most qualified and diverse applicants. Inform the Assistant Director if you want to post the ad in other locations besides the official UW posting:
- UW employment page
- Publications/list serves specific to your field
- Staff Diversity Hiring Toolkit
Inform the Assistant Director if you want to post the ad in other locations besides the official UW employment site.
6. Once you have identified top candidates, review the UW’s information on interviewing and reference checking.
7. When you have the top candidate, do not make an official offer until it has been approved. Send the name, proposed start date and salary to the Assistant Director who will seek approvals through the CoEnv Dean’s office and UW Compensation office.
8. When approvals are received, you will be notified and you can then offer the position.
9. If the top candidate accepts, please ask them to do so in writing (email is fine).
10. The hire will then be finalized and an appointment letter with instructions for the new employee will be sent.